Top 5 Foods that Cause Inflammation
Top 5 Foods that Cause Inflammation
Are you familiar with the term "inflammatory foods"? It's a phrase that's been buzzing around the health and wellness world for a while now, but what exactly does it mean? In short, inflammatory foods are those that can cause inflammation in the body. But do we really need to avoid inflammatory foods?
What is inflammation and what role does food play in inflammation?
Inflammation is nothing but our body's natural response to injury or infection. It's a necessary process that helps our body heal and protect itself. However, when inflammation becomes chronic, it can lead to a whole host of health problems. Chronic inflammation has been linked to conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, and even cancer.
So, what role do foods play in inflammation? Certain foods, particularly those that are high in sugar, saturated and trans fats, and processed ingredients, can trigger inflammation in the body and these specific foods have been termed inflammatory foods. This is because these foods can cause oxidative stress, which can damage cells and trigger an inflammatory response making it important to avoid inflammatory foods as much as possible.
Why should we avoid inflammatory foods?
Several Scientific studies have shown that consuming a diet rich in anti-inflammatory foods can help to reduce inflammation in the body. Our body is a direct reflection of what we eat, and it's not an overnight thing. Whatever you eat today is going to change your course of life, maybe a month later or a year later depending on the frequency but trust me it will. The bottom line is that these foods can directly activate proinflammatory substances and indirectly promote weight gain, all of which lead to inflammation in the body.
But ... How bad is all of this, really? Most people don't notice the subtle signs of eating the worst foods that cause inflammation. But this underlying, persistent inflammation eventually leads to symptoms ranging from annoying to somewhat debilitating, including Chronic fatigue, recurrent infections, joint and muscle pain, insomnia, and gastrointestinal diseases, such as acid reflux, constipation, diarrhoea, anxiety, and depression. By avoiding inflammatory foods and choosing a balanced and varied diet, you can help support your immune system, reduce your risk of chronic disease, and promote optimal health.
Let us first discuss the top inflammatory foods to avoid when eating. Here we have put a list of inflammatory foods to avoid.
Top 5 Foods Which Cause Inflammation
1. Fried foods - such as French fries, onion rings, and fried chicken are high in trans fats, and are the worst foods for inflammation. They contain high levels of omega-6 fatty acids, which can promote inflammation. These can lead to an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic conditions.
2. Processed meats - Processed meats such as hot dogs, bacon, and sausage contain high levels of sodium and nitrates and are foods to stay away from inflammation. These meats are also high in saturated fat, which can increase the risk of heart disease and other chronic conditions.
3. Refined carbohydrates - Refined carbohydrates such as white bread, pasta, and sugary drinks can cause inflammation in the body. These foods are quickly digested, causing a rapid increase in blood sugar levels and an increase in the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines. Consuming these regularly can lead to an increased risk of diabetes and other chronic conditions.
4. Sugar - Consuming excess sugar can lead to inflammation in the body. Sugar is quickly digested, causing a rapid increase in blood sugar levels and an increase in the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines, which results in an increased risk of obesity, diabetes, and other chronic conditions.
5. Snack foods - Chips, cookies, crackers, and pastries. These types of snack foods are often high in refined carbohydrates, added sugars, unhealthy fats, and artificial additives, all of which can trigger inflammation. Unhealthy fats like trans fats and saturated fats can also cause inflammation in the body. Artificial additives like artificial colours and flavours can also trigger an inflammatory response.
Foods that you must consume to prevent inflammation
On the other hand, there are also foods that prevent inflammation. These include foods that are high in antioxidants. Foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as fatty fish, nuts, and seeds, can also help combat inflammation. Such information-prevention diet foods are termed anti-inflammatory foods. These foods include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats such as omega-3 fatty acids. By consuming a diet rich in such foods, we can help to reduce inflammation in the body, which can lead to improved overall health.
Leafy greens - Leafy greens such as spinach, kale, and collard greens are rich in antioxidants and other anti-inflammatory compounds. You can try Ayurvedic Punjabi Curry which is a Punjabi curry with a delicious combination of healthy vegetables, such as turnips, carrots, parsnips, and spinach. This tasty curry is a perfect way to get your daily dose of antioxidants and Vitamins A and K.
Nuts and seeds - Nuts and seeds such as almonds, walnuts, and chia seeds are rich in healthy fats and other nutrients that can help reduce inflammation. Homemade Granola Sweet, available on Foodhak are crunchy and healthy - packed with fibre, gluten-free oats, delicious dried apricots, and chia seeds - just make sure this breakfast meal gets your day off to a sweet start.
Whole grains - Whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, and whole wheat are rich in fibre and other nutrients that can help reduce inflammation. Ashwagandha Choc Chip Cookies will be the right snack that you can consume as it is anti-inflammatory in nature. They are soft, sweet cookies made with dark chocolate chips and millet flour are great.
Turmeric - Turmeric is a spice that contains a compound called curcumin, which has strong anti-inflammatory properties. Almost all the food items available on Foodhak contain organic turmeric and among them do not miss trying the authentic Ayurvedic Rasam!
Berries - Berries such as blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries are rich in antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation.
Eating healthy doesn't have to be boring and less appealing. At Foodhak you can find ample food menu options to enjoy your healthy yet tasteful meals. You can begin with Foodhak’s Ayurvedic Keralan curry - a mild curry which is inspired by delicious flavours from the Malabar Coast. It features the comforting textures of butternut squash, the healthy qualities of kale, and delicate Indian-inspired flavours, such as curry leaves and turmeric.
With a mix of green leafy vegetables and butternut squash, all of which are anti Inflammatory foods. And it doesn't have to be repetitive as well, at Foodhak you can taste different varieties like Katsu-curry, Red Thai Curry, and so on. All these food menus have ingredients that are anti-inflammatory in nature.
Just a few examples are listed above, but there are many other anti-inflammatory foods that you can find on Foodhak. Be sure to check the product descriptions and nutritional information to ensure that they are right for your dietary needs and stay in good health by choosing the right products!